Skip to main content

Long Locs Problems!

Hello World,

February is about ending and I hope you are all kicking a$$ in 2018 already. This year has been interesting, upbeat and fast paced on my end. I guess this is how you begin to see life when you get older. In the meantime, the sun in Lagos is scorching as expected for this time of the year and my mid-back-length locs are becoming a bother, hence the inspiration for this post. I promise not cutting them off just yet. I'm just here to complain about my beautiful long locs which I love and tell you how I am coping with all this hair :D.

1. It's getting heavy.

With my recent (constant) pursuit of weight loss, I can bet that my locs are the cause of the extra 2kg on the 12kg I intend to loose by the end of the year. Whilst my locs are still a decent, relatable weight when they are dry, it's a different story when they are wet or packed in certain ways. A low bun can sometimes feel like there's a cute puppy hanging on my head.

2. The Heat

I am actually one of those people who likes to wear my hair in a ponytail but 5 mins in Balogun market under the Lagos sun and I'm looking for anyway to get my locs off my neck and back. These are the moments when I ask myself  "who send me?".

3. Styling

I know you must be thinking oh please your styling options endless, but infact therein lies the problem, half the time I spoilt for choice so I end up with the most reliable style there is - The Ponytail. Unfortunately the heat brings me back to the point where I'm thinking of what style to do. It's a cycle. #Phew!

4. Eating my Hair.

I have ended up with the ends of my hair in my food countless times. I know it sounds gross but it happens. :|. Don't ask me how.

5. Leaving my locs behind.

Yep, sometimes my locs just can't keep up. For instance when I'm dancing salsa my locs get trapped in my partner's watch mid spin, thereby pulling me back and causing confusion. Other times, when sharing couch or bed and I try to get up, I tend to leave my locs behind with someone resting on them. This can be painful and frustrating.

6. Takes forever to dry.

I miss those days when I could get under the shower, run water through my locs, towel dry and be on my way. These days I have to have a plan around when I wash and the activities I will engage in 24 hours after, else you will find me walking around town with a wet patch on my back and a cold. Yes there's the drier option which I avoid like a plague and even that takes time.

7. Still have Length goals

I have always have this dream to take a mami water (water goddess) looking picture with me rising out of the Atlantic with my locs as my top covering. My locs are currently playing catch up with my boobs... So despite my rant on long hair problems, I still want longer hair.

Here's a picture from the gram, with my locs in loops. This was my solution to getting my locs off my back and out of my way when I ran a 10k race in the recent Lagos City Marathon. (of course I finished). The style lasted a whole week, before I started carving for my ponytail.


Alright, this was fun. I tell myself I should write more and I really should.

Till my next post.

Xoxo.
Your Loc Head,
Ade.

Comments

  1. The Dreadlocks Salon is the best hair salon Oakland and is renowned as the ultimate destination for exceptional hair care. With a team of highly skilled stylists specializing in dreadlocks, they offer top-notch services tailored to meet every client's unique needs. Experience their unmatched expertise and leave with stunning, perfectly styled locks that turn heads.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

7 Locitude #LocInspiration Hair Styles for Short Locs.

Hello Loc Heads, This one is obviously for fellow loc heads in the awkward phase of their locs. The awkward phase is usually sometime around Day 1 - Year 2; when your head is full of scalp after a fresh re-twist and your locs seem too scanty, when your hair unravels after a fresh re-twist before you say can say Jack Robinson; when you think water is your worst enemy because it's preventing your locs from forming; when you are having a bad hair day and you feel like - Oh God if only I could get my hair into a ponytail it would do. I can go on and on... but instead I present you with 7 Style Ideas for short locs. #LocInspiration no. 1: Loc loops or Loc petals. Reminds me of a cropped hair cut, this style looks classy and elegant. Can be worn to an event. It's also neat and can help with a more serious/subtle look. #LocInspiration no. 2: Pinned Up side. Even though it is just pinning up one side of your locs, it always make a difference. A touch Style. You can use ha

Hair How To: Loc Loops/Petals in 4 easy steps.

Hello, #TGIF #ItsTheWeekendBaby #PhotoShootModeActivated #Locitude #HairHowTo #LocsAndAttitude #LocWorkshop #ComingSoon #OkReadBelow. I'm obviously excited, payments for my shipment on brand new dada products stock has finally gone through (It is not easy to be a Nigerian #That'sAll), now waiting for the products to get here. I hope it doesn't take forever. I found this FREE accounting app called waves app, which is helping keep my spend together. I usually get excited when I learn new stuff, so yaaaayi. Seems this hobby is becoming a business sooner than I imagined. Sorry back to the Loc loop Tutorial... Step 1: Select two strands of locs close to each other. (You can use only one strand of loc only or 3-4 depending on how thick your locs are) Step 2: Take the ends of your strands, fold them towards the roots making a loop Step 3: Fasten the base of the loop with a tiny rubber band. Make sure it's not too tight. Step 4: Style to your taste

How I Keep My Loc Curls in Check - The 3 step process.

Hey y'all, Today was a good me day, got to hang out with my friends from way back. I was so so so glad I did. It was much fun and I am still rocking my locs in zigzag curls with an attitude. Just thought to drop a quick one on how I have maintained my locs for a whole week without loosing them. Rocking my Zigzag curls, one week in. Wore them down the whole time. Here's my simple 3 step process. 1. The Satin Bonnet Sleep in a Satin bonnet or Scarf. The primary reason for this is to retain moisture and ensure your locs are not picking up lint from your beddings. The added advantage is that is helps to retain your curls when you are asleep as well. :) 2. The Shower Cap + Tee Shirt Take a bath/shower in a shower cap. reinforced with a tee shirt. Yep, if you are trying to retain your curls water isn't your friend. Once water touches your loc curls they are gone. So I use a tee shirt to hold my shower cap up to ensure I don't get water on