Skip to main content

Dear Erick, Caring For Your Locs

 Dear Erick,

First, I'd like to apologize that this is coming late. I was going to write to you on Sunday but got last minute bookings and decided to take them. I am happy that I finally got to it as this maybe the first of many letters that I'll write to my friends who also happen to be my clients. 

I am so happy that we got to experiment with a style for your locs at your last appointment and I look forward to knowing how long it will last and the compliments/attention you are probably getting considering styling is all new to your person. As promised, here are my concise recommendations on how to care for your locs in the 4 -5 weeks between your hair appointments and beyond.

Recommendation 1: Don't fuss!

Your mere existence is enough to help your hair thrive. If you do absolutely nothing to your hair, it will loc. I know this sounds counter intuitive, but trust me, doing nothing is so much better than doing too much when it comes to locs. So please keep this in mind when you follow my other recommendations. Not fussing doesn't mean not caring, so the following recommendations will suggest things to do that will show that you care.

Recommendation 2: Follow logic.

The beauty about being individual humans is that we have the ability to decipher information independently. So, if anything I write or say to you even in the salon chair doesn't make sense to you it does not have to be followed. Being curious and voicing it will often lead to open discussions that may enable varied perspectives and help both you and I reach the best logic to follow. Additionally, what works for A may not work for B; I know this from experience. You therefore have to do some work and be attentive to what your hair is trying to tell you. Listen to your hair! This is the best advice to follow in making decisions about products and maintenance. 

Recommendation 3: What products should you use?

Erick, I know I told you I will send you product names complete with links, but I would need you to first understand why I use those products and what I expect them to do. So whilst you will get links, I do not want you to be bound to brands. I want you to be able to walk the aisle of any beauty store and choose products that will work for you. 

Now that I have gotten that out the way, let's talk Shampoos. There are two things to look for when shopping shampoos. One, a deep cleansing shampoo and two, a moisturizing shampoo. Deep cleansing shampoos often contain sulphates which dry out your locs but are very good in cleansing out the stale oils, sweat, product build up and dirt from locs. Considering we do not get to comb our hair anymore, it is important to cleanse them properly. 

To restore some balance to your hair from the cleansing shampoo you will need a moisturizing shampoo. These shampoos are usually infused with oils and help add moisture to the shampoo process. If you use only moisturizing shampoos over a long period of time, your locs will most likely hold on to dirt that could be easily removed by the deep cleansing process. 

Conditioners - I love conditioners, they make your hair nice to touch and keep them locs subtle, shiny and healthy. Conditioners also help your locs retain moisture for a much longer period. Some people argue that conditioners are detanglers and that one shouldn't use them in locs for this reason. I see the opposite. Our hair locs regardless of using conditioners or not and you get so much more from using them in my opinion. 

For twisting locs, many used waxes but more recently a lot of people use gels, I favor non of these products just because they can be difficult to wash out of locs especially when used in excess. 99% of gels flake. Since we do not comb our hair, it is almost impossible to get stuff out. My theory/solution to what I think is the only problem with locs is not putting in stuff if you have the slightest doubt about being able to get out. To this end, I use oils to retwist locs. With oils you get unlimited benefits, scents and choices. To summarize this, the looser the product consistency is to liquid the better it is for your locs from the perspective of trying to wash it out.

I also recommend the use of liquid leave-in-conditioners in between salon visits. Remember, liquid is the key word.

So there you go. Once you shampoo, condition and oil your scalp and locs there isn't much else to do. :). I really hope you have read till point 'cos this is the part you have been waiting for.

Deep Cleansing Shampoos Recommendations 

- Design Essentials Oat, Protein and Henna Shampoo

- ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo

- Aunty Jackie's Power wash Shampoo

Moisturizing Shampoo

- Design Essentials Honey Creme Moisturizng Shampoo

- Aunty Jackie's Oh So Clean moisturizing shampoo

Oils

- Locitude Minty Burst 

- Jamaican Mango and lime Island Oil

- Olive oil from your kitchen 

Leave In Conditioner 

- Design Essentials HCO Leave in Conditioner 

- Aunty Jackies's leave in Conditioner.

Tools

- Spray bottles

Recommendation 4. Good practice  

Now that you know what to use in your locs I want you to please remember to use products in moderation. Less is More! It is also good practice to wrap your locs up at night to retain moisture and prevent lint from beddings.

Lastly, how often you moisturize your locs and oil your scalp should ultimately be up to you as it can range from daily to weekly depending on what your hair is telling you and the weather.

I am positive you will find this helpful. And I am must say, it's always a pleasure when we get to share the same space. Take care of the little humans your are guiding through this life that we barely know anything about. I will also be attaching my journal on Hiking Mt. Kilimanjaro to the summit. I did not forget.

Can't wait to be of service again.

Your Loc Head

Adé



Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing. Discover the ultimate natural hair salon Oakland at The Dreadlocks Salon. Our expert stylists specialize in enhancing your beauty and embracing your unique style. With top-tier services and a welcoming atmosphere, we're proud to be Oakland's best choice for all your natural hair care needs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

7 Locitude #LocInspiration Hair Styles for Short Locs.

Hello Loc Heads, This one is obviously for fellow loc heads in the awkward phase of their locs. The awkward phase is usually sometime around Day 1 - Year 2; when your head is full of scalp after a fresh re-twist and your locs seem too scanty, when your hair unravels after a fresh re-twist before you say can say Jack Robinson; when you think water is your worst enemy because it's preventing your locs from forming; when you are having a bad hair day and you feel like - Oh God if only I could get my hair into a ponytail it would do. I can go on and on... but instead I present you with 7 Style Ideas for short locs. #LocInspiration no. 1: Loc loops or Loc petals. Reminds me of a cropped hair cut, this style looks classy and elegant. Can be worn to an event. It's also neat and can help with a more serious/subtle look. #LocInspiration no. 2: Pinned Up side. Even though it is just pinning up one side of your locs, it always make a difference. A touch Style. You can use ha

Hair How To: Loc Loops/Petals in 4 easy steps.

Hello, #TGIF #ItsTheWeekendBaby #PhotoShootModeActivated #Locitude #HairHowTo #LocsAndAttitude #LocWorkshop #ComingSoon #OkReadBelow. I'm obviously excited, payments for my shipment on brand new dada products stock has finally gone through (It is not easy to be a Nigerian #That'sAll), now waiting for the products to get here. I hope it doesn't take forever. I found this FREE accounting app called waves app, which is helping keep my spend together. I usually get excited when I learn new stuff, so yaaaayi. Seems this hobby is becoming a business sooner than I imagined. Sorry back to the Loc loop Tutorial... Step 1: Select two strands of locs close to each other. (You can use only one strand of loc only or 3-4 depending on how thick your locs are) Step 2: Take the ends of your strands, fold them towards the roots making a loop Step 3: Fasten the base of the loop with a tiny rubber band. Make sure it's not too tight. Step 4: Style to your taste

How I Keep My Loc Curls in Check - The 3 step process.

Hey y'all, Today was a good me day, got to hang out with my friends from way back. I was so so so glad I did. It was much fun and I am still rocking my locs in zigzag curls with an attitude. Just thought to drop a quick one on how I have maintained my locs for a whole week without loosing them. Rocking my Zigzag curls, one week in. Wore them down the whole time. Here's my simple 3 step process. 1. The Satin Bonnet Sleep in a Satin bonnet or Scarf. The primary reason for this is to retain moisture and ensure your locs are not picking up lint from your beddings. The added advantage is that is helps to retain your curls when you are asleep as well. :) 2. The Shower Cap + Tee Shirt Take a bath/shower in a shower cap. reinforced with a tee shirt. Yep, if you are trying to retain your curls water isn't your friend. Once water touches your loc curls they are gone. So I use a tee shirt to hold my shower cap up to ensure I don't get water on