Skip to main content

Dear Erica, Taking care of your flaky scalp

 Dear Erica,

Seven months gone already? Feels like it was yesterday. I had taken off my scarf at the gym, you had asked if my locs were real and I was so happy to tell you that's what I do :). Little did I know you had been considering getting locs yourself and all you were looking for was a sign. If I had know I would have been coming to our training sessions scarf-less. Haha!!! Lest I forget, your afro used to be banging. I actually admired them but after not combing my hair for about 13 years and loving it. All I have for afros is admiration and not a desire.

The rest is history, I'm glad you liked what you saw on Locitude's Instagram page and decided to choose us to be part of your loc journey. The months have flown by so fast and your hair is now officially loc'd. However, your scalp still gets flaky between salon appointments. Sometimes much worse than other times. Getting to the root cause of the issue is usually how I approach solving the hair and scalp issues my clients bring to me. Though, we have conversations around this at your appointments I'm writing to break things down from my perspective and hoping that we can be more attentive to what works and what isn't so that we can continually improve the condition of your scalp. 

Let talk about root causes. In my experience over the years as a loctician, I have found that the causes of dry flaky scalp center around theses four causes. 

1. Lack of hydration 

2. Product Allergies

3. Medical conditions - (hormonal imbalance, psoriasis) and 

4. Stress  

I am no doctor, but with clients that I see often enough, I am able to tell if the condition is getting better or worse. Over the last seven months I'll say that the flakiness of your scalp has fluctuated and at different points we have been able to see why and suggested ways to improve. 

I'll like to explore further the causes and possible solutions to the possible problems that we have identified.

Hydration: It is not news to humans that staying hydrated in and out is important. Water is the most essential and life sustaining product available to mankind. When it come to hair care it is not only important to hydrated topically; drinking water keeps those pores subtle from the inside and allows your hair follicles to do what they need to do. 

Winter and harmattan is coming and it becomes even more difficult to stay hydrated but we need to try. Does tea count as water? This is me trying to remind myself to drink more water too. 

Product Allergies: Often times people turn to products to solve the embarrassment one may get from your head snow flaking on you. Sometimes your body is just trying to say no to these products and it's doing so by flaking. Tea tree is one of the product lauded to help with dryness and flaky scalp, however a significant of people react to this product and the outcome is usually dry and flaky scalp. 

If you are drinking enough water and have a good routine of moisturizing your hair but still have dry and flakiness in your scalp I strongly suggest you strip your hair of products and start by reintroducing them to see which one you may be allergic to. In some cases one can solve a lifetime stressor by discovering the product that's triggering you. 

Medical conditions: Again, I repeat I am no doctor, I'm actually an Architect, turn Administrator, turn Loctician and more recently several other things but not a doctor. However, this much I know. What's happening inside of you often shows up on the surface. If you are properly hydrating and are certain that you do not have a product allergy. You may have to be medically treated for this flakiness and seeing a Trichologist, Dermatologist or starting with a primary care doctor might help you figure out which of your hormones are short and need help or if there's a medical condition that needs treatment. Sometimes, topping up with Vitamin D might just be the solution to the problem. 

Stress: I pulled this out from medical conditions because sometimes one may have figured out what to adjust in the three causes I mentioned above but have periods of stress that then triggers another flaky episode. I shouldn't be advising anyone about not stressing as I can worry for the world. but we can all do with stressing less. 

Here's just a reminder to you Erica, to keep adjusting as you need. Your scalp was much better in your last appointment and my waist line is disappointingly bigger. I promise to get back to being a skinny bitch starting October 1st, 2022... Wish me luck. 

Wishing you a flaky-less scalp this coming winter. 

Lots of love. 

Ade.




Comments

  1. I've dropped over $2000, straight hair locing process. Lately, I've gone in for touch up, my hair grows quickly and the stylists is flipping my hair at riots. This is problomatic in I'm unable to crochet twists. My hair is super itchy after the last tightening, where she used scissors to separate loose hairs ... was a real bummer because i didn't think it's ever cut my hair again. I don't know enough to advocate for myself or my hair style. Please assist.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

7 Locitude #LocInspiration Hair Styles for Short Locs.

Hello Loc Heads, This one is obviously for fellow loc heads in the awkward phase of their locs. The awkward phase is usually sometime around Day 1 - Year 2; when your head is full of scalp after a fresh re-twist and your locs seem too scanty, when your hair unravels after a fresh re-twist before you say can say Jack Robinson; when you think water is your worst enemy because it's preventing your locs from forming; when you are having a bad hair day and you feel like - Oh God if only I could get my hair into a ponytail it would do. I can go on and on... but instead I present you with 7 Style Ideas for short locs. #LocInspiration no. 1: Loc loops or Loc petals. Reminds me of a cropped hair cut, this style looks classy and elegant. Can be worn to an event. It's also neat and can help with a more serious/subtle look. #LocInspiration no. 2: Pinned Up side. Even though it is just pinning up one side of your locs, it always make a difference. A touch Style. You can use ha

Hair How To: Loc Loops/Petals in 4 easy steps.

Hello, #TGIF #ItsTheWeekendBaby #PhotoShootModeActivated #Locitude #HairHowTo #LocsAndAttitude #LocWorkshop #ComingSoon #OkReadBelow. I'm obviously excited, payments for my shipment on brand new dada products stock has finally gone through (It is not easy to be a Nigerian #That'sAll), now waiting for the products to get here. I hope it doesn't take forever. I found this FREE accounting app called waves app, which is helping keep my spend together. I usually get excited when I learn new stuff, so yaaaayi. Seems this hobby is becoming a business sooner than I imagined. Sorry back to the Loc loop Tutorial... Step 1: Select two strands of locs close to each other. (You can use only one strand of loc only or 3-4 depending on how thick your locs are) Step 2: Take the ends of your strands, fold them towards the roots making a loop Step 3: Fasten the base of the loop with a tiny rubber band. Make sure it's not too tight. Step 4: Style to your taste

How I Keep My Loc Curls in Check - The 3 step process.

Hey y'all, Today was a good me day, got to hang out with my friends from way back. I was so so so glad I did. It was much fun and I am still rocking my locs in zigzag curls with an attitude. Just thought to drop a quick one on how I have maintained my locs for a whole week without loosing them. Rocking my Zigzag curls, one week in. Wore them down the whole time. Here's my simple 3 step process. 1. The Satin Bonnet Sleep in a Satin bonnet or Scarf. The primary reason for this is to retain moisture and ensure your locs are not picking up lint from your beddings. The added advantage is that is helps to retain your curls when you are asleep as well. :) 2. The Shower Cap + Tee Shirt Take a bath/shower in a shower cap. reinforced with a tee shirt. Yep, if you are trying to retain your curls water isn't your friend. Once water touches your loc curls they are gone. So I use a tee shirt to hold my shower cap up to ensure I don't get water on