My Locs would reach the 6 year mark this year and as you may imagine I'm getting a bit bored (Yes, I get bored too). This time I'm not thinking to cut them, I have considered colour but not sure I want to commit to being 100% diligent with the silk bonnet, daily moisturising and fear that my locs may thin out from the colour in another year or three. This time I'm thinking to Free Form or should I say Semi Free form or Not.
If you don't already know, Free Form is a method of getting locs by doing nothing to your hair. You stop combing it and the hair mats itself. I'm of the opinion that this is the one true state of locs and they are beautiful.
I retwisted my locs over 8 weeks ago, March 28th to be specific, in an attempt to Semi Free form; which means I stopped retwisting I just wash, condition and oil them. Then I try separating them at the roots so that I maintain existing loc strands and here's my observation so far.
|8 week Semi Free Form attempt - It's not working for me.|
1. My roots are thick, thicker than the Amazon rain forest.
2. My locs feel heavier.
3. My scalp sweats much faster.
4. There's no air reaching my scalp.
5. Pulling them apart is rather painful.
6. I have not been tempted to style as much as when I retwist often.
7. My locs get dry faster (can’t explain this or maybe I’ve not been moisturising as much and this Lagos sun this past few weeks na die.)
8. I kind of liked doing nothing to my locs. :D
9. Shrinkage is real, my locs seem shorter as my mini Afro at the roots is obeying the black girl natural hair law of shrinkage.
10. My scalp gets itchy.
Whilst I admire the free form so so much, it may not be for me at this time. Even the Semi Free form is not working for me. Today I am going to respect myself, wash this dada, separate the life out of it and re-twist. I’m thinking to get either the Fro Hawk or Pipe Cleaner curls, maybe the Fro Hawk since I have never done it before on myself.
I’m guessing the free form is not for me :’( after all, or maybe I’ll try again at some point in the future and look like Bob Marley :)
Let me wrap up with a few points.
1. Everybody’s hair is not the same, do what works for you.
2. Locitude is a vendor at the upcoming Salon Day Out organized by Dabs of NaijaHairCanGrow and Savvy and Chic Beauty Hair Hub. So I hope to see you there.
3. Loc Appreciation Day, 2015 is around the corner and we can’t wait to host. This year is going to be bigger and definitely better, more details coming soon.
That’s it for now fellas.
Your Loc Head