Skip to main content

How Clean Are Your Locs?

Hello Peeps,

Where has the year gone? It's unbelievable that it's Mid October already. I remember New Year's of 2015 like it was yesterday and now I'm thinking what New Year Resolutions I would be making for 2016. Let me not deceive myself by saying I have 2 and a half months to think about 2016, I know the rest of the year is going to fly by very quickly, so let me quickly blog this one of many things that have been on my mind this past few months..... How clean are your locs?

How Clean are your locs?
Let's start with a confession or many confessions...

I have never really been confident about my loc admirers getting up, close and personal with my locs not because I don't like the fanning; or that I'm too conservative to flaunt my locs; or that I love my personal space that much. It has really been because I wasn't sure what they would find inside them; is it the thread from that style in 2013; or the shells I that stuck in my hair from the beach 10 months ago or was it 2 years ago; or that one time my scarf flew off in the middle of the desert and my locs packed some sand; or some left over shear butter from that time when I swore by shear butter and shear butter alone, or lint from my blanket... The list can go on and on.

Locs can hold on to your past even when you are trying to let go and cleaning them out can be a struggle. In the past few months I have met a good number of loc heads and seen all sorts past people's locs are holding onto. I have also read and watched a ton of YouTube videos on how to get rid this gunk. Some of the solutions are like science experiments with no definite conclusion, some not logical enough to try, others neither here or there. In all of this I would try to summarize my observations and share some information on what has worked for me and clients of the Locitude Studio.

1. Forget Sulfate Free Anything (If you are trying to cleanse your locs).

Washing your locs without a Sulfate shampoo or product with similar ingredient is like washing palm oil plate with water, literally! I have used this analogy countless times as it is the best explanation of what we see when we wash locs with moisturising shampoos. The stale oil floats to the surface and stays there. So if you are about really washing all that wax, stale oils and product out of your locs look for a Sulfate Shampoo to help.

2, Sulfates Dry out your Locs - So condition them.

Yes, During a wash with a sulfate shampoo your hair already begins to feel dry, that's because it is getting squeaky clean; which is alright but you need to condition your locs to protect them from breakage due to excessive dryness. Conditioners help retain moisture.

3. All Sulfate Shampoos are not equal.

Some products are more superior than others, so just because the bottle reads contains sulfate doesn't mean it would work magic. Usually the pricier bottles are superior, but if you are going to spend all that money, it's worth knowing the track record of the product you are buying. No harm asking google.

4. Chill on the Experiments.

I love experiments, if not for all my experimenting I'll be brain dead by now. However, apply common sense to your experiments, try to find the logic before you go mixing concoctions in your locs, remember if it goes wrong the repercussions would stay with you forever.

Feeling much better about the cleanliness of my locs :)

After all said and done, my locs and I are in a happier place than we have ever been with regards to being clean and the below products are the reason.

- Design Essentials Deep Cleanse Shampoo
- Design Essentials Moisturising Shampoo and
- Design Essentials Stimulations Super Conditioner

All recommended by Damian Walter (famous Houston Loctician). I gave my hair a wash in the shower and we can save what came out for another post X_X.

I'll be doing reviews on this products in the coming week. This is becoming a heck of a long post so I would end here. Hope you found the information useful and drop a comment if you please. One love, love life and keep it loc'd with a clean attitude. xoxo.

Your Loc Head
Ade.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Locitude #LocInspiration Hair Styles for Short Locs.

Hello Loc Heads, This one is obviously for fellow loc heads in the awkward phase of their locs. The awkward phase is usually sometime around Day 1 - Year 2; when your head is full of scalp after a fresh re-twist and your locs seem too scanty, when your hair unravels after a fresh re-twist before you say can say Jack Robinson; when you think water is your worst enemy because it's preventing your locs from forming; when you are having a bad hair day and you feel like - Oh God if only I could get my hair into a ponytail it would do. I can go on and on... but instead I present you with 7 Style Ideas for short locs. #LocInspiration no. 1: Loc loops or Loc petals. Reminds me of a cropped hair cut, this style looks classy and elegant. Can be worn to an event. It's also neat and can help with a more serious/subtle look. #LocInspiration no. 2: Pinned Up side. Even though it is just pinning up one side of your locs, it always make a difference. A touch Style. You can use ha

Hair How To: Loc Loops/Petals in 4 easy steps.

Hello, #TGIF #ItsTheWeekendBaby #PhotoShootModeActivated #Locitude #HairHowTo #LocsAndAttitude #LocWorkshop #ComingSoon #OkReadBelow. I'm obviously excited, payments for my shipment on brand new dada products stock has finally gone through (It is not easy to be a Nigerian #That'sAll), now waiting for the products to get here. I hope it doesn't take forever. I found this FREE accounting app called waves app, which is helping keep my spend together. I usually get excited when I learn new stuff, so yaaaayi. Seems this hobby is becoming a business sooner than I imagined. Sorry back to the Loc loop Tutorial... Step 1: Select two strands of locs close to each other. (You can use only one strand of loc only or 3-4 depending on how thick your locs are) Step 2: Take the ends of your strands, fold them towards the roots making a loop Step 3: Fasten the base of the loop with a tiny rubber band. Make sure it's not too tight. Step 4: Style to your taste

How I Keep My Loc Curls in Check - The 3 step process.

Hey y'all, Today was a good me day, got to hang out with my friends from way back. I was so so so glad I did. It was much fun and I am still rocking my locs in zigzag curls with an attitude. Just thought to drop a quick one on how I have maintained my locs for a whole week without loosing them. Rocking my Zigzag curls, one week in. Wore them down the whole time. Here's my simple 3 step process. 1. The Satin Bonnet Sleep in a Satin bonnet or Scarf. The primary reason for this is to retain moisture and ensure your locs are not picking up lint from your beddings. The added advantage is that is helps to retain your curls when you are asleep as well. :) 2. The Shower Cap + Tee Shirt Take a bath/shower in a shower cap. reinforced with a tee shirt. Yep, if you are trying to retain your curls water isn't your friend. Once water touches your loc curls they are gone. So I use a tee shirt to hold my shower cap up to ensure I don't get water on