Skip to main content

Locs And Exercise.

Hey peeps,

#FitFam #Fitness #WeightLoss #TeamFit are all familiar tags in our social media feed these days and on top of this Kanye West had to release that video with Teyana Taylor's body looking like fire!!! The woman had a baby less than a year before the video was shot. Now, look at me, single and never given birth, I'm one of those asking why can't that be me.

Four months ago, July to be precise I was encouraged to start working out, not because I was consciously unsatisfied with my body but because 85kg on the scale is a little worrying and looking sexier never hurt anybody. To add to this I had a new year resolution in 2015 to loose 15kg before the end of that year. Unfortunately I started the year and ended it at 85kg. On the bright side, at least I didn't add weight.

In 2016, I have made progress. I got on a scale 2 days ago and it said 71kg. I can't believe it, I swear. I plan on rechecking on another scale, no way I lost 14kg in four months on my very convenient routine. I'm so sorry I am beginning to obsess about weight loss talk when the purpose of this post is how exercising has/is affecting my locs. Let me get right into that.

1. Sweat and Styling.... 
Errrr... Not working for me. A good work out equals a good amount of sweat, especially on the scalp. I air my locs after every work out and the process is less complicated without a style, hence I have avoided styling these past 4 months.

2. Routine maintenance.
Before my #teamfitfam days I washed my locs once a month, as you would imagine once a month can't cut it for me any longer since I sweat (major dripping sweat) at least three times a week. So I have bumped up my maintenance routine to once in 2 weeks.

3. Re-twisting.
I am a big fan of the rough look (i.e washing my locs without re-twisting them). Of recent this hasn't worked for me. As I noted in my To FreeForm or not post, my scalp feels like it's not getting enough air when the roots are undone for too long. With exercising, I need air. So I have found myself re-twisting more often; once every 2 weeks a very light twist though, so I don't thin out my locs.

4. What to do with my Locs during exercise.
I leave my locs out in a ponytail when I run, dance or do cardio and wrap them up when I do floor exercises to make sure I don't turn them to a mop. Locs pick up all sorts of things so don't give them a chance to.

5. Air is Everything.
Letting my locs breathe has been liberating in this weight loss journey. If I feel them getting funky before my wash days, I air them and oil my scalp with the Locitude Minty Burst.

This is about all I can think of at the moment, If you have any personal observations, comments or questions. feel free drop a word below.

Let me give you small more exercise gist before I sign off. After failing (personal trainer, egg, apple & oat diet and starvation) at weight loss in 2015, I decided that this time I will only do things I enjoy doing, hoping what ever results I achieve will last. Here's my routine in order of preference.

1. Salsa Dancing (check out Buddy's classes)
2. Aerobics in front of my TV using Leslie Sansone's videos.
3. Running on Lekki-Ikoyi Bridge. - The gist about this bridge is not for this blog. Hehehehe.

I try to make sure I get a good workout at least 3 times a week, I just do whichever I am in the mood for. Sometimes I am able to squeeze in 6 days of sweat a week. If this 14kg loss is true, we can't stop now. Here's a #fitfam selfie :).


I have talked for Africa, let me go and do hair, recession is biting, but we are biting right back. ;).

Your Loc Head,

Ade.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Locitude #LocInspiration Hair Styles for Short Locs.

Hello Loc Heads, This one is obviously for fellow loc heads in the awkward phase of their locs. The awkward phase is usually sometime around Day 1 - Year 2; when your head is full of scalp after a fresh re-twist and your locs seem too scanty, when your hair unravels after a fresh re-twist before you say can say Jack Robinson; when you think water is your worst enemy because it's preventing your locs from forming; when you are having a bad hair day and you feel like - Oh God if only I could get my hair into a ponytail it would do. I can go on and on... but instead I present you with 7 Style Ideas for short locs. #LocInspiration no. 1: Loc loops or Loc petals. Reminds me of a cropped hair cut, this style looks classy and elegant. Can be worn to an event. It's also neat and can help with a more serious/subtle look. #LocInspiration no. 2: Pinned Up side. Even though it is just pinning up one side of your locs, it always make a difference. A touch Style. You can use ha

Hair How To: Loc Loops/Petals in 4 easy steps.

Hello, #TGIF #ItsTheWeekendBaby #PhotoShootModeActivated #Locitude #HairHowTo #LocsAndAttitude #LocWorkshop #ComingSoon #OkReadBelow. I'm obviously excited, payments for my shipment on brand new dada products stock has finally gone through (It is not easy to be a Nigerian #That'sAll), now waiting for the products to get here. I hope it doesn't take forever. I found this FREE accounting app called waves app, which is helping keep my spend together. I usually get excited when I learn new stuff, so yaaaayi. Seems this hobby is becoming a business sooner than I imagined. Sorry back to the Loc loop Tutorial... Step 1: Select two strands of locs close to each other. (You can use only one strand of loc only or 3-4 depending on how thick your locs are) Step 2: Take the ends of your strands, fold them towards the roots making a loop Step 3: Fasten the base of the loop with a tiny rubber band. Make sure it's not too tight. Step 4: Style to your taste

How I Keep My Loc Curls in Check - The 3 step process.

Hey y'all, Today was a good me day, got to hang out with my friends from way back. I was so so so glad I did. It was much fun and I am still rocking my locs in zigzag curls with an attitude. Just thought to drop a quick one on how I have maintained my locs for a whole week without loosing them. Rocking my Zigzag curls, one week in. Wore them down the whole time. Here's my simple 3 step process. 1. The Satin Bonnet Sleep in a Satin bonnet or Scarf. The primary reason for this is to retain moisture and ensure your locs are not picking up lint from your beddings. The added advantage is that is helps to retain your curls when you are asleep as well. :) 2. The Shower Cap + Tee Shirt Take a bath/shower in a shower cap. reinforced with a tee shirt. Yep, if you are trying to retain your curls water isn't your friend. Once water touches your loc curls they are gone. So I use a tee shirt to hold my shower cap up to ensure I don't get water on